Have you Really Proofread Your Resume?
December 12, 2011 Leave a comment
For many job seekers writing an excellent resume can be pretty tough, and it is absolutely crucial to ensure you submit a document free of grammatical and other errors.
Today we live in a world where we have become too reliant on spell-checkers and the Thesaurus. Whilst these tools make a great resource, unfortunately they are not 100% error free, and will not always pick up every error in your document.
Perfect your resume proofreading and you are half way there…
Here are my top tips for proofreading effectively. These tips should help you see (and hear) your errors, before the recruiter does!
1) Read before proofing. Read the entire document through once to get an overall feel for content and layout.
2) Proofread the text. Proofread the document, checking for punctuation and spelling irregularities.
3) Print a hard copy. It’s much easier to check your Resume or CV from a hard copy, and errors are often easier to spot on a piece of paper than on the screen!
4) Read it Aloud. Believe it or not, reading your resume aloud will give you a feel for the flow of your document, and you’ll be surprised at the errors that will materialise!
5) Read your Resume backwards. By proofreading headings, subheadings, and body text backwards, you are focussing on the words rather than comprehension.
6) Check spacing. Look for any excess white space between words and characters to ensure there are no inconsistencies.
7) Have someone else read your Resume! Even after checking a hundred times, we can overlook simple errors. A second set of eyes can often pick up mistakes you may have overlooked.
When you are applying for positions, don’t let a resume filled with spelling errors and poor punctuation affect the number of interviews you get, and the quality of the jobs you are offered. Resumes Australia has the very best Professional Resume Writing team in the country. We can help you with a structured and superior professional resume that will make you stand out from other candidates, and encourage employers want to read on. To view our Resume Packages, please visit Resumes Australia’s Online Shop today!